The Rajput Diaries... 8

Udaipur - Kumbhalgarh ... Thoughts

I left Udaipur with a mind full of questions, a heart full of love and a soul seeking answers. As I watched the stone houses, little villages and dry landscape pass me by, I wondered if I could give up my life, my friends, my family, my work and my everyday existence which would seem like a luxury to these villagers. I mean, I've done it before. It's hard but it's not impossible to do.

I've always been someone thats followed her heart and been extremely passionate. But would I be able to live in a village? Live the 'daily' life that my fellow brothers and sisters live? I have no doubt I will make new friends, be a part of a new family, get some kind of work and have a roof over my head. But will I be able to fully embrace this life and adapt to it? They say its easy adjust to rising over falling. Would this be falling? It would mean cutting down on lots of things that I have grown used to: breaking habits. Would I be happy? That is something I'm not sure of. But then am I really happy where I am? I am grateful. I am content. But I don't know that I could say that I am happy. Are any of us?

The more we have, the more we want. It's human nature. But what if all we have are the basics? That'd require a whole new set of survival skills and psychology to be able to accept it and live with it. Maybe what I needed was balance. To be close enough to understand their ways and provide help, to be far enough to be able to keep doing the work I know how to do best (so I can be of more help too). But then again where does one start? How do you pick one problem when there are a million? I'm equally passionate about all the following causes:

- educating children without our non sensical, out dated educational system where you are smart if you remember things word for word like a parrot. Let them learn through projects, experience, music, art, sport, research... letting them learn to open their minds and ask questions.
- clean water for all and environmental awareness - saving water, recycling, using alternative sources for electricity.
- the fight between villagers and forests, conserving our wild life, putting an end to poaching.
- animal rights.
- creating work opportunities for people in their villages so they are not forced to leave their homes and over populate the big cities.
- 'proper' health care for all.
- adult education - teaching farmers better techniques, organic farming, teaching them to stand up for themselves and be self sufficient, teach them to think of long term benefits and not just short term relief, teach them about civic sense and cleanliness.
- womens' rights, their empowerment and safety.

If I gave up my life and worked for all these causes, would it make me happy? Maybe happiness is over-rated. Maybe we give it too much importance. Happiness comes and goes. Maybe the Zen like state, is that of simply being content. Happiness and sadness come and go - its a cycle that never ends. But to be detached from both is the key.

So as I reached the massive walls of the ever so humongous and jaw dropping Mewar Fortress called - Kumbhalgarh Fort, I decided to try that out. To be content with where I am, who I am and the situation I am currently in. No expectations. To see the blessings around me. To accept I may not be able to do all the things I want to to help, but that I had taken a step in that direction, so I must be on the right path. I may not know yet what it is I will do, but it's okay. I don't have to have all the answers immediately. It will come when it has to.

As of now, this moment, noon, peak heat season in Rajasthan, I decided I was going to lose myself in the magic, beauty and magnanimity of my surroundings: the birthplace of Maharana Pratap Singh. How insane to have built this in the 15th Century! How did they possibly climb up and down with all their heavy swords, attire and gear? So much wonder and amazement!

I kept climbing higher, the sun shone upon me with all its might and I loved every single minute of it. I, by myself, with myself had such a fantastic time.  Here's a few pictures... hope you have a good time seeing them too.







































0 comments:

Post a Comment